Friday, November 28, 2008

Post-Tryptophan

Thanksgiving dinner yesterday on the boat was excellent. It has been the best meal on the boat to-date, for sure. The beer was also great. All-in-all it was a much better day than I had anticipated.

I thought I should provide some additional insight into my post yesterday. Although it was not an ideal situation to be away from home for the holiday. I would not have ever turned down the opportunity to partake in this field study. It is an experience that I will probably never have again. I learned a lot about my science, along with other sciences that are being studied on the boat. I have seen science in action. So all-in-all I am happy with the decision to come on this trip, and I am still thankful for the opportunity of getting to be here.

I have also learned a lot about myself on this trip. It is interesting how being away from home, friends, having no cellphone, and limited internet forces you to evaluate your life. What this re-evaluation will mean when I get home, and how it will manifest itself in my life is unknown. This re-evaluation is referred to as a 'sea-change'. The sea has changed me, hopefully for the better, but that has yet to be seen. I am curious to see how long it will take me to slip back into my life in NC.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"I am curious to see how long it will take me to slip back into my life in NC."

It took me a good lazy weekend to get back to normal. A long hot shower and a good night's rest in your own bed cures the weariness of sea life very quickly.