Saturday, November 8, 2008

Down with the Brown

I moved onto the Ron Brown today. My stateroom is slightly larger than I thought it was going to be. I haven't met my roommate though. He is a cook, and I have heard he is a nice guy. Apparently the cooks are the best to room with because they have a strict set schedule, so I will know when to expect him in the room. I haven't decided if I am staying on ship tonight or not. Some of my new friends have hotel rooms tonight, and there are extra beds. It might be good to get one more good sleep on land.

I have been spending the afternoon getting my work station set up. I moved some things around from the way Matt had everything set up. There was nothing wrong with his set up, but I am kind of picky about my work area. I will try to upload some pictures later.

Tomorrow we have a meeting at 8am, when we will be instructed on what is and isn't allowed on ship. We don't sail until 11pm tomorrow night. There is an issue with the Chilean observer. Since we are collecting vasts amounts of data in Chilean waters, the government sends an official with us I guess to monitor what we are actually doing. If that person is not on ship, none of the data collected in Chilean waters can be used, ever. The woman who is doing this tested positive for TB, but she claims it is due to the TB vaccination she received and had a false positive. They are doing more tests to see if this is the case, and we are waiting on her results to sail. There will be a lot of pissed off scientist if something happens and she doesn't make it aboard.

That is it for now. I'm going to walk around the city for a bit, and maybe grab a bite to eat.

Jake

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Don't forget to have a beer before you sail. It will be a while before you'll get to have another.

David said...

Any update on the Chillean Official??

dopplerjake said...

No word. She is supposed to get her test read this evening. She is the reason our departure has been delayed to 23:45. There is another Chilean on board, Carlos Moffat who is the standby in case the original observer is unable to come. So it looks like we should be okay.

Anonymous said...

We miss you!

Anonymous said...

Jake, It is fascinating hearing you talk about everything that is going on. I will never get to see these things so it is great I am getting to hear you tell about them. Kathi